Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Characters

Welcome back!

I thought it would be a good time to go over characters. How hard could it be to create one?
It's only a fictional person after all.
Well, it is more in depth than think...




It is not as simple as giving your character a name and face. You can't have flat characters if you want your readers to care for them. You must give your character a back-story, emotions, personality. What do they desire? What is their goal? What is their breaking point? Etc, etc. These are important elements of character creation. If you can give your characters depth, your readers will have an emotion connection with them.

Keeping a writing journal can help. In my journal, I have a page for each character in my Witch In The Woods series. It helps me keep them separate and also to remember certain facts or aspects about them. It can be a forum, questionnaire, or even a resume if you prefer.
Below are the main questions I ask my characters.

  • Name:
  • Date of Birth:        Age:
  • Appearance:
  • Occupation:
  • Life story:


These, I feel, are the important questions. Their future can change on a whim, but the past can never change. (Unless they are time travelers, I suppose)

Recently I read a fantasy in which the characters are at war with a Dark Wizard. One character told a story about a wizard whose parents died when the wizard and his brother were very young. All they had were each other. As they grew older, the younger brother succumb to the Dark Wizard, despite his efforts to save him...

A couple pages later, the wizard's story was continued. The wizard had left his brother and had not heard from him in many years. One day, the wizard was contacted by his brother, who told him that their mother had fallen gravely ill...

What? They just said she died when they were young! Did she magically come back to life? These were my personal thoughts... I have to shake my head and laugh.

The point to this little story is plane:



Though it was only a small part of the book, it did concern the plot. I am sure that many who read the book will not notice, but there are those who love to pick a book apart. Other than that, the book was very well written.

You don't want to fumble the ball with something as silly as this, so that is why I feel a journal is an important addition to your writing arsenal. All it does is help.



Happy writing everyone!


Feel free to check out Witch In The Woods in paperback on creatspace and Amazon!

Or get a sample chapter of my series on Smashwords!

Have a nook? My books are on the Barnes and Noble website too!

For the nook!

If you like my blog, please add me to your circles! I'll add you back.

Please like my author page on Facebook! Send me the link to your's and I'll return the favor.
Follow me on Twitter and friend me on goodreads.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment