Saturday, November 15, 2014

Writing A Synopsis

Greetings!

About a week before the release of my latest book, Witch In The Woods: Blood Moon Ritual, I realized that I had forgotten something crucial... My least favorite part of any book to write, but it is the most important as well. The synopsis. There are some writers out there who write their synopsis first, and build their story around it. I, on the other hand, wait until the last possible second to write it. 

Here are some tips that help me when writing the dreaded synopsis!



How many books have you decided not to read, just because the synopsis didn't capture your attention? The first line in your summery is your hook. That is the part which must catch the potential reader's attention. If the first line in your synopsis isn't catching, that possible reader will most likely put it down.

Some books I personally can't even get through the whole summery, which is terrible, because as an author, I would hate for that to happen to my books. Here is the problem: if I, an author and avid reader, can't even get through the synopsis, then how are other readers supposed to? You have a good book waiting to be read, you just need to find the right hook.




I find it helpful to have examples, so I look at the summery to other books to give me an idea on how to write my own. It kick starts the brain storming process! Remember to include the important things in your synopsis.You want the readers to know what your story is about, and to draw them in enough to want to read your book. What's the main plot? Who is/are your characters? What are your characters trying to achieve, and what do they risk losing if they fail?

As an example, here is the synopsis to my first book, Witch in the Woods.


When twenty year old, professional witch hunter, Victor Steep is summoned to handle a case; he travels to the town of Beth's Hollow to find residing in the vast woods surrounding the town, a witch with a deadly obsession.

In the woods, Victor meets a mysterious and beautiful lady named Clearly, and her kind, but cursed brother Fabian. Promising that he will look for a cure for her brother, Victor soon questions if he can keep that promise, for killing the malicious witch he was hired to hunt, became more complicated than expected. In order to defeat the witch, Victor now must find a book that has been missing for nearly twenty years, or risk the fate of Clearly, Fabian, and the entire town of Beth's Hollow. Not to mention, if he should fail, losing the possession of his very own skull to the witch's disturbing collection.


As my first summery, I am very happy with how it turned out! It let's the reader know that Victor hunt's witches for a living, and is risking his very life to save Clearly, her brother, and the town of Beth's Hollow.

What do you think, are you ready to write your synopsis?

Thanks for reading, and keep writing!

Feel free to check out my Witch In The Woods Trilogy!

WITW on Amazon

WITW on B&N

WITW paperback on CreateSpace

WITW on Smashwords

Don't forget to like my Facebook page, and follow me on Twitter and Goodreads to stay updated!

My author page on Facebook

@ann_bunker on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment