Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I Follow, You Follow, I'll Un-follow

Hello!

Last week I talked about building a fan base and gaining followers. This week I thought I would tell you all about my experience with a certain type of follower on Twitter. I am sure this probably happens on other sites as well, but I have only come across this 'egotistic' occurrence on Twitter.

Egotistic?


As I said in my last post: Everyone wants to gain. 
But beware, for there are some people out there who will follow you, and shortly after you follow them back, well... You're history, babe.

These people strike me as, (Excuse me while I try to censor myself) self-interested, greedy, little hobgoblins, who want to gain your support while refusing to assist you in return. (Readers, I beg you! Don't be like this.)

This is my own personal experience with the whole "I follow, you follow, I'll un-follow" situation, on Twitter. I'll give this person an alias, because that's how I roll. I shall call him Bob.

Bob had a professional looking picture, and looked like a happy business man, who was following a pretty substantial amount of people, and had a pretty ridiculous number of followers himself. Wow, he's popular! I digress; he followed me one day, so I followed him back, thinking, "Yay! Another follower!"

This is how they lure you in! The next day, I noticed that I had one less follower than the day prior, so I looked into it. Bob was gone. I heard of people doing this to boost themselves on Twitter and other sites, so I decided that if that's the way he plays, then I am not supporting him. *click* Un-follow!

The next day, Bob was back... I thought, maybe he un-followed me by accident... Seeing how he was my follower again. Great, now I feel bad. So, I decided to re-follow Bob. He stayed a follower for nearly a week before he was gone again. Wow, I had to be something special! Anyway, my jaw dropped. Looking at his page, I realized that he was following thousands less than the first time I looked, yet he still had 100k + followers. Why, that little!... That!!! I'm at a loss for words. You know what they say, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice... Well, know I'm a pro at this game.




That is just one of the stories I have, but I trust that you get the gist. But I offer you all the link to a site that will tell you who is following you, who un-followed you, etc. It is pretty cool, and useful.
Justunfollow.com

Do you have any stories like this? If so, please post them in the comments!
Happy tweeting everyone!

Don't forget to follow me, I follow back!
Please follow me on Twitter!
Like me on Facebook!
And friend me on Goodreads!
Have a Pinterest? I'm on there too!

Check out my Young Adult series Witch in the Woods on
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
And for all of July, my series is 50% off on Smashwords! Just use the code SSW50 when you check out!

1 comment:

  1. I hate the games too! But at least you get to find the ones who truely want to help! I use justunfollow too. It is a great site!

    ReplyDelete