Monday, June 23, 2014

Building a Fan Base

Welcome back,

Today I am going over how to build your fan base, and when is a good time to start? I am by no means a master on this subject, and still an avid learner myself, but I am going to share with you what has been working well for me so far.



If you are still writing or just about to start writing your first book, you are in luck! This is the prime time to start! It is never too early to start building your followers. However, if you are like me, then you have already written your book, and didn't think/know you should have been building a fan base before you published... That's okay, many of us do that. Lucky for us 'secretive' people, it is never too late to start either!

Where exactly do you get these followers?




First off, you need to get a Twitter, a Google+ (if you have a gmail, you have a google+ account), and make an author page on Facebook. These are popular social media sites, and you want to get noticed. It is important to remember that you can't just make these accounts and expect others to instantly follow you, unless you're Johnny Depp or someone similar, which is pretty slim. This is a two way thing. If you want people to follow you, you have to follow them. Everyone wants to gain.

Don't follow just anyone. If you are writing Middle Grade books, you don't necessarily want to be following a criminal law lawyer, unless he/she is a big fan of MG reads, or you find them interesting. Follow bloggers, readers/fans of your specified genre, or anyone who interests you.



It's also important to follow others in similar categories as yourself. There is no hope in beating them, nor should even you try. Join your competition! Follow other authors who write the same genres or for the same age range you do. Try to become friend these people, retweet them and promote their stuff. They will be happy to return the favor, assuming they are not snobbish, 'Why should I help out the newbie?' kind of person. I haven't met many, but they are out there. They don't realize this thing is a give and take. But I digress...

If you're not on any sites, then hurry! Get on Twitter, Google+, Facebook, Goodreads, Pintrest! The more sites you are on, the more YOU will get noticed. Tweet and post stuff about your book, and be proud that you authored it! Check out other peoples works, and ask if they will check out your's.

Remember that these are social media sites, so you shouldn't be all work and no play! Jack Torrance syndrome is never good...



Any questions? Please post them in the comments! I will try to answer them all!
Know anyone who's trying to become an author? Please share this blog with them!
Don't forget to add me to your circles! I'll add you back!
Thank you for reading!

Check out my Young Adult, Dark Fantasy series Witch in the Woods on AmazonBarnes & Noble, and Smashwords!
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook! I follow back!
Become a fan and friend me on Goodreads!

1 comment:

  1. If only I knew how important tips #2 & 3 were! It would have been a lot better to start early!

    ReplyDelete